Friday, November 17, 2017

Descending to the Bottom of the Ronda Gorge....How Far Can It Be?

Here is where we are.....


....and there is where we are headed.  Down....
approximately 390 feet down....yikes.


We begin our trek at an idyllic and gorgeous terrace plaza with breathtaking views.


I, unfortunately, even though it was my idea to descend the gorge, have Birkenstock sandals on my feet!  Not the best to climb with...however....look at Deb go.....she is going to that precarious edge at the top of the wall face.
I am not keen on it.....but she will be careful I'm sure.


Almost no protection or barriers between us and a very long fall....staying close to the wall of this mountain for sure.


Curious that these 'cairns' are all in the same location on our path.  They are used as trail markers and these are quite neat.  I bet there were 50 of them piled all around.




The path snuggles right up against the top of the gorge wall.


Which also hangs over our heads, and as we walked past I felt water drops from above.


The view up....That's what I was looking for.  Outstanding.



Still making our way when we come upon loose stones on the path.  Now I'm worried I can't get by with these dang Birks.  But my wee Deb gives me her hand and helps support me down the rocks.
When we turn the corner, it is much steeper.  In a random act of kindness.....a young man, in front of me, turns around and offers me his hand to get the rest of the way down the rocks.
How awesome is that?


The water drops make for a muddy section.


I started out towards this path/wall and then realized....there is no barrier at all.  My balance stinks so I look and appreciate the view but continue the other way towards the gorge bottom.
The scary path below.....


....and the view down...as there is no barrier.


Challenging obstacles continue to unfold before us.  But that water isn't too deep if I fall into the drink. lol.


Still further down.......


Deb is telling me that even though there is no rail, it isn't as dangerous or scary as it appears.
The women behind me, in Spanish, says 'sin riel', 'no rail.'
I turned to her and said 'no there isn't but it's ok.'


Climbing under fallen rocks.......'are we there yet?'


I know I am showing how challenging it is, but it was not so bad.  The views are amazing from this perspective.  We are almost to the bottom.


Once we walk on the stone wall where the wee cute dog is....and down the stairs....I think we may be there!!



......and WE ARE HERE!!


With the 200 year old bridge above us, this is incredible.  There are only about 10 people right at the bottom with us.  I feel a peacefulness and astonishment at this green space so far removed from the crazy crowds above.






Heading back up....we still have to see more of this incredible city of Ronda.






We stood on that balcony this morning when we left the Bull Ring.....here it is zoomed in.......


.....and again zoomed out.  It's such a wee speck.




Last wee bit to go......


There's the plaza where we started from.....



(Below) This group of young people have all their gear on to climb down in the gorge.
To be able to do that....with strength and fearlessness.....
Maybe next time......


But by the looks of me.....I am not so sure....
One thing is for sure.....I will NEVER wear my Birkenstock sandals, when touring the area,  just in case we want to trek somewhere......

THAT was fantastic.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflecting On An Incredible Trip

I cannot comprehend that our incredible 3 months adventures in Europe have come to an end....for now. Back in Canada and the hustle and b...