Sunday, November 26, 2017

Christmas Cake in Cadiz?



Over the last few weeks our wee town of Cadiz has begun to erect Christmas trees throughout the Plazas, and hang lights, and many other decorations to celebrate the coming season.
I had read that they make a delicious Christmas cake that I really wanted to try.
It's my favourite....I make it myself...but not going to happen this year....so I am on the hunt for a Cadiz Christmas Cake.

Yesterday we walked passed one of the bakeries that we often see on our travels and the window display was filled with these Christmas Cake sort of items?
Looks like it?  I'm going to go in and purchase the smallest one they have to try it.

Below is the one we asked to purchase but changed our minds pretty quick.
It costs 85 euros.....that is over $100. Canadian dollars???  Oh no.


The baker, in Spanish, conveyed that it is the very decorative one, but for 10 euros we could buy the non-decorative one?  Ok, I'm excited about this plan.


It looked like a pastry wrapping the goods inside.
Once I cut into it, I found a very sweet candied fruit filling.
I googled it to see what exactly is in it and this is what I found.

'Turron de Cadiz' is a traditional 'Cadiz bread.'  
Mostly made of marzipan and candied fruit.
Cadiz has many bake shops that sell marzipan rolls as well as huge chunks of an assortment of candied fruits.  Back in the 1950's a pastry chef, decided to put them together and here it is still a huge seller in Cadiz many years later.
Interesting that there is also, in some recipes sweet potato in it?
I have to say, I love it.
.....and I am sure my dentist will too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflecting On An Incredible Trip

I cannot comprehend that our incredible 3 months adventures in Europe have come to an end....for now. Back in Canada and the hustle and b...