Saturday, October 28, 2017

Hola Cadiz, Spain

When Deb and I were looking for affordable accommodations for 'after the trailer season' I started to search the web.  Toronto, as much as we enjoyed it for the last two winters, is very expensive.  
I opened my gaze a little wider and thought, if we were in Europe on our cruise, we could stay somewhere affordable before heading back to Canada.
I remembered this beautiful place in Spain, that we visited on another cruise about 4 years ago.  I fell in love with Cadiz in that short visit.
Four years later, I found a little apartment on Airbnb and booked us.
Less than $850.00 Canadian dollars a month.  Cheaper than Muskoka and definitely less than the major cities in Canada.
Thus....here we are.

Let me introduce you to Cadiz, Spain.
It has the respect of being the oldest, inhabited city in Spain and Western Europe.
A population of about 124,000 but it doesn't feel like that.


Our place is on this street, behind a locked gated door.
Hidden from view is a lovely courtyard with about 12 small apartments in a square area.
A roof top terrace also serves as the setting for about 10 clothes lines.


Luckily we are on the first floor....which in Europe means....two flights up.


Cadiz is a peninsula which is in the Bay of Cadiz, just off the Atlantic Ocean.
About a 5 hour train ride south of Madrid.
The peninsula covers no more than 5 miles.


Literally 50 steps to this promenade right on the water.
I have been running this promenade this week and I will never tire of the view.


Stunning florals over hanging in the park.
I believe these to be called Bougainvillea which is a strong vine that can be 'trained' to cover and drape archways, doors and trellis.



Thrilled.....can't believe we are here.  Deb and I felt overwhelmed when we first arrived.
Partly we were completely exhausted by our month long adventures travelling before we arrived here.
We are settling in nicely.



Thinking these were lime or orange trees when I first got here.  In fact, they are a decorative tree with what appears to be edible fruit but no.  Don't pick any fruit....and think about eating it.....just sayin'.  Some of the fruit is poisonous....but I will tell you about that later.




Behind Deb is the 'Baluarte de Candelaria' which is a fortress built for protection in centuries past.
Cadiz was founded in 1104 BC.



Iglesia del Carman, is a Catholic church, at the end of our street.  The colours on the facade are beautiful.  Built in the 17th century.



Monk Parakeets

I knew from our last visit that parakeets roamed free here....but it seemed harder to spot them then.
Oh my gosh...they are everywhere.  Their tell tale squawk lets you know they are nearby. 


Check out the size of this tree.  It is humongous!! 
Some of the oldest trees in Cadiz.
It is said that Christopher Columbus brought them from the New World to Spain.

A 'Ficus Macrophylla', I've heard them referred to as Rubber trees also.
They can grow to be 200 feet tall!  And over 7 feet around.
I'm afraid it is going to swallow me up.

Oh....don't worry...there will be LOTS of photos of my wee friend George in my blog.
He's the green guy....the parakeet below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflecting On An Incredible Trip

I cannot comprehend that our incredible 3 months adventures in Europe have come to an end....for now. Back in Canada and the hustle and b...